Caimans triumph at the homecoming game

CAHS beats Tri-City Christian 14-12 at the homecoming game

ESCONDIDO – September 17

Friday night, the Caimans won their third consecutive homecoming game, this year finishing against Tri-City Christian with a score of 14-12.

The stands were packed with cheering families, friends and staff. Throughout the game, students were shouting a variety of chants and showing their school spirit, including a rowdy crowd organized by the school’s Link Crew.

Junior Sam Schuler described his favorite part about being in the rowdy crowd: “Throwing the baby powder and just screaming your head off … There’s actually a lot of people from school that [came] here and you just get to see everyone.”

The chanting of, “Caimans eat eagle meat!” and the flailing of red spirit poms got the stands shouting and cheering.

Supporting CAHS family and students cheer on the varsity team to victory. A rowdy crowd is seen flailing their spirit poms in the air, while others are chanting in support of their team.

During the first quarter, cornerback senior Andy McKeown completed a pass from quarterback, senior Mark Fuson, and scored a 17 yard touchdown. An extra point was made by wide receiver, senior Brendan Gahler.

In the second quarter, the Eagles scored their first touchdown, bringing their score just one point below the Caimans.

With 15 seconds left in the second quarter, McKeown made an interception at the 30 yard line and completed an 80 yard touchdown with the help of outside linebackers senior Blaine Fletcher and junior A.J. Vansant.

Coach Jon Goodman of the Caimans said, “Andy is half man, half amazing, but Andy ‘plays as one’ and he is so humble by making sure that the ‘we supersedes the me.’  He’s on the field every single play; he’s a true leader.”

Andy McKeown completes a 80 yard touchdown with the help of his teammates at the end of the second quarter.
#5 Andy McKeown (far right) completes a 80 yard touchdown with the help of his teammates at the end of the second quarter.

The Caimans left the crowd in high spirits for the halftime show.

During halftime, TCA students ranging from kindergarten to eighth grade paraded past the bleachers with banners displaying their graduating years.

Following the elementary and middle schoolers, the annual Homecoming Court made their way onto the field. All five senior couples were called up to walk onto the field with their parents, including last year’s king and queen, Roy Bennett and Emma Tarr.

Seniors Joshua Sazon and Avalon Johnson were called and crowned by Bennett and Tarr. Minutes before the game resumed, Sazon and Johnson rode away, waving to the people in the stands.

Joshua Sazon and Avalon Johnson ride away shortly after being declared homecoming king and queen.

With no points scored in the third quarter, fourth quarter action brought the game to a tight finish, The Eagles scored a touchdown, bringing their score up to 12 points. But the Eagles wouldn’t be given a chance to surpass the home team, as senior Ryley Racciato completed an interception during the last few seconds of the game, ensuring the Caimans’ victory.