Caimans and ducks on ice! CAHS partners with Anaheim Ducks to start an ice hockey club

The Powerpoint presentation stands tall at the meeting in Mr. Bowshaw’s room. Matt Blanchart, the commissioner of the league, spoke to the parents. Photo taken by Jakob Woo-Ming.

Over the years, Caiman athletes have competed in familiar gyms, on dry fields and in fierce waves, but they’ve never played on ice. For our warm-blooded athletes, however, this may change next year.

On the night of May 20, Classical students and other nearby athletes attended an informational meeting for starting an ice hockey club.

Parents reached out to CAHS to start a club so students could play with Anaheim Ducks High School Hockey League (ADHSHL).

The team will consist of, not only CAHS students, but also students residing in schools from the Escondido, Fallbrook, Murrieta and Temecula communities. This means friends who attend different schools can play together on the same team.

“[Ice hockey is] way more competitive than football and faster-paced,” future CAHS freshman Peter Haas said. “You need to have a certain skill level and it’s not just about [being] big in play.”

Here are the need-to-know-facts:

• The ice hockey team plans to play in winter, but start practices around August. Practice dates remain to be determined.
  • Games will be on Friday nights and Saturday afternoons, and about 15 to 17 will be played in total. The majority of the games will be played in the Anaheim area.
  • At least 17 boys are needed for one team, while 40 or more are needed for both JV and Varsity.
  • League fees total $2900 per person, not including team or tournament fees. This covers jerseys, helmets, gloves and bags sponsored by the Anaheim Ducks.
  • Register at adhshl.com. A $500 deposit is required.

If you have any questions or are thinking of participating, please email [email protected]. Hurry, the deadline for registration is June 30!

The proposed ice hockey jerseys. There will be a small patch with the Anaheim Duck’s patch on it. Photo courtesy of Tiffany Wilmer.