From club sport to CIF semi-finalist team

Although the Boys Varsity Volleyball Team started out as a small club sport, they eventually expanded into three separate teams (freshmen, jv, varsity) that qualify for CIFs.

Seniors Bryce Kirklen and Sam Schuhler warm up with some passes before their game against Pacific Ridge.

Friday, May 6 was not only the opening of the Captain America film ‘Civil War,’ but also the last Boys Varsity Volleyball game for senior athlete Bryce Kirklen and several other senior players. The varsity athletes have had their ups and downs throughout the season, yet still consistently averaged more wins than losses. The team has a diversity of players, ranging from freshmen to seniors from those with only one season under their belts to several years of experience.

Back in the spring of 2014, before the team became CIF semi-finalists for Division Four, the team practiced as a small sports club, with Mr. Steven Ferreira as head coach. This year, the team is led by three coaches, with Jo Milo as head coach.

However, the team has continued to grow, and now even qualifies to play at CIFs. Their game on the 6th against Pacific Ridge resulted in a loss, but the Caimans still used teamwork in their game against the tough team. Bryce Kirklen can be seen leading the benched players in cheers to encourage the other teammates on court. Kirklen has played on the team since it was first formed in 2015, and continues to motivate his teammates in his final year of playing.“[When] we yell, ‘He’s a freshman!’ we do it for two reasons,” he said. “The first is to intimidate the other team. When one of our freshmen kills the ball on a varsity court, it is really a big deal. It also shows the rest of [our] players that if a freshmen can get a kill, then so can they. It boosts morale and shows the other team that we are serious about winning, and that our team is supportive and capable of winning.”

Besides doing push ups for a teammate every time they get a “kill”, teammates on the sidelines cheer on the rest of their team by drum-rolling on the floor. A kill is when the team (who makes the kill) makes it impossible for the other team to return the pass, either by smashing the ball or bunting the ball over the blocking opposition.

Although the Caimans lost all five sets that Friday, they never stopped trying. Their long hours of practice and their skillful plays sent Pacific Ridge sliding across the waxed court. Sophomore Evan Lipe plays offsetter, and he formed a triforce with two other players, a passer and a middle blocker, in order to initiate a kill called a “quick” or “1”. “If I get an extremely great pass from someone and the ball falls right into my hands, I’ll very lightly push the ball in the air, to where it is barely hovering above the net. Then, one of our middle blockers, Adam Soberon, Christian Nowtash or Jaxon Racciato, will jump in the air with the ball and pound it down onto the enemy’s court.” Lipe has played volleyball (first with JV) since freshman year, and plans on continuing as a varsity player until his senior year.

Sophomore Evan Lipe also plays occasional server during the game.
Sophomore Evan Lipe also plays as occasional server during the game.

After this year, the varsity team will be losing some key players: seniors Bryce Kirklen, Sam Schuhler and Adam Soberon. However, the team has many rising stars, including freshman Christian Nowtash, whom Kirklen recalled making several kills during the game. Sophomore Lipe trusts the freshmen and their heightening skill level. “Both of the freshman aren’t seeing much playing time, but since they are getting the same amount of reps that all the varsity players get in practice, they have the potential to become much better than our current seniors.” Overall, the team has come a long way in such a short amount of time and is expected to grow even stronger and, eventually, play higher-division teams.