Students Gather at the Back to School Barbecue to Greet the New School Year

real-selfie
Smile in Style. Seniors Robyn Baker and Ana Hall pose for a picture at the Back to School Barbecue on Sept. 23 in celebration of the new school year. Photo credit: Rebecca Campbell.

The Back to School Barbecue is a time of transition and laughter for returning and new students alike. There, students gather to say their final goodbyes to summer as they welcome a new school year full of new classes, teachers, classmates and experiences.

Though held a little later this year, during the event this past Friday night, students rocked out to popular songs and recapped their first month of school with their friends. There was music, food, friends and fellowship.

Music blasted the entire duration of the event, resulting in spontaneous dancing and lively lip-syncing, which is becoming a new tradition at CAHS barbecues. As the night continued, epic lip-sync battles between grades were held. During the battles, teens from each grade united to showcase their grade’s talent and personality. Upperclassmen performed a dramatic cover of Katy Perry’s hit song “Firework,” while the crowd joined in at the chorus.

At the Back to School Barbecue, students have the time to reminisce about their best summer experiences. When sophomore Ian Campbell reflected on his summer trip, he said the coolest things he did this summer included “riding bikes in Stanley Park in Vancouver, Canada,” along with getting his new puppy, Teddy.

Students are also encouraged to think about what they are most excited about for the upcoming year. When asked what she is most looking forward to this year, senior Carolina Marques said, “Nerve to Serve, and just trying to participate in everything before I graduate.” She is a member of Nerve to Serve, a club whose mission is to assist foster kids by raising awareness and resources.

img_9956
Isabelle Deussen and her friends lose themselves in the music. Photo Credit: Elizabeth Reimann.

However, while some here are still reflecting the past and others here are looking forward to the school year ahead, there are also students who are here to party in the present.

Junior Isabelle Deussen described her exciting night at the barbecue with gusto. “It was fun meeting new people this year,” she said, “and it was great seeing my friends in a sort of party environment. … I was thinking, Panic! At The Disco!’”

The best part of her night? “Dancing with my friends, eating the good food and just having a good time,” Deussen said. “It was awesome.”