CAHS students gather for the Veterans’ Day Assembly

CAHS students gathered on Thursday, Nov. 10, for the annual Veterans’ Day Assembly.

The assembly began with a rendition of the national anthem “The Star-Spangled Banner” by the Caiman Crescendos.

Drama teacher Mr. Spencer Farmer made an introductory speech about the meaning of the assembly. Junior Isabelle Deussen said of Mr. Farmer’s speech, “[My favorite part was] Mr. Farmer’s speech on the table set for the soldiers. I’m more of a person who likes to see symbolism in everyday objects.”

img_4233

The guest speaker this year was County Supervisor Bill Horn. He spoke about his military experience as a second lieutenant in the Vietnam War, where he served as both a Commanding and Executive Officer. His service earned him the Bronze Star Medal with Combat V, the Purple Heart, the Combat Action Ribbon, the Presidential Unit Citation, the Naval Unit Citation, the Meritorious Unit Citation, the National Defense Medal, the Vietnamese Campaign Medal with four stars, the Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Gold and Silver Star, the Cross of Gallantry Unit Citation and the Vietnam Service Medal (billhorn.com).

In addition to his accomplishments, Horne also shared his struggles after serving, which included 14 years of nightmares and seeing friends die in combat. “It kind of stood out to me about how … the nightmares and stuff, the post-traumatic stress … went on for 14 years for him,” junior Isabelle Deussen said. “That was quite shocking to me, and I feel a lot more empathy towards the soldiers,” said Deussen.

The assembly ended with the playing of anthems for each branch of the military, where students stood up to honor family members who had served in each respective branch.

Many students related closely to the content of the assembly, seeing as San Diego County is home to many military families. Senior Elizabeth Saunders, who has many members of her family in the military, said, “It’s probably one of my favorite assemblies. I will be going into the Navy, and so it’s very important to me.”