Filed under News, On-Campus, Showcase

Senior Kayla Vanderstoel Is 2016-17 Salutatorian

Submitted photo by Jenny Baker

Throughout their high school careers, many students strive to keep up with various clubs, sports and other extracurricular activities, as well as maintaining good grades. Senior Kayla Vanderstoel is one example of a student who has blazed her way through high school, gaining the title of Salutatorian of her graduating class.

With a weighted GPA of 4.47, Vanderstoel has participated in various choir and theatrical performances and is a part of the CAHS Academic League. She has been able to balance her academic activities with her extracurriculars by finding time for both in her everyday activities. “I have done choir and theater, so it helps in down time during rehearsals …  to work on homework if it’s necessary, just to help manage your time,” Vanderstoel said. “So it’s kind of like two sides of the same coin. Making sure also with extracurriculars and stuff that I am still doing stuff that I enjoy and not overloading myself with too much.”

By knowing her strengths and weaknesses, Vanderstoel has been able to set up her own study methods to prepare for academic success. “Taking notes in class has always helped me, especially if there’s a PowerPoint,” Vanderstoel said. “Just making sure to really make a note of what the teacher is saying [and] paying attention in class.” She recommends “finding that way …  you know you learn best and making sure that you take full advantage of that.”

Vanderstoel has already finished her application process for college and received her results. “I definitely think that not just my GPA, but [also] my academic mindedness when it comes to school and college has helped me a lot,” Vanderstoel said.

Vanderstoel is very “happy and surprised” to have won the title of Salutatorian and thinks it “helped a lot in the college process.”