Red carpets and ribbons

Students and faculty put on a welcoming, antique atmosphere for guests as they enter the new campus. The greeters went out of their way to make the attendees feel part of an exclusive red carpet event while keeping a “retro” feel with the evening. Photo taken by Matthew Roberts

ESCONDIDO – The red carpet came rolling out the door on Thursday, October 2, as hundreds of distinguished parents and guests entered the new campus for an exclusive banquet hosted by Classical Academy’s executive director, Cameron Curry. The extravagant dinner offered an expansive selection of food prepared by local restaurants.

“This is truly a celebration of a dream that so many of us had that would happen someday. And, guess what? It happened!” Curry said.

The event was hosted in honor of the recently opened campus for the high school, a vision that has been in Curry’s mind for a long time.

“I was invited down by Fox 6 News and they were asking us questions about homeschooling and at the end of the segment they said, ‘Really Cameron, what’s next? What are you thinking about?’ And we had actually said on that program that we were thinking about starting a high school,” Curry said.

Marie Waldron, Cameron Curry, and Jed Wallace cut the ribbon in front of an anticipating audience. The event was host to many important speakers including Waldron, a state representative.
Marie Waldron, Cameron Curry, and Jed Wallace cut the ribbon in front of an anticipating audience. The event was host to many important speakers including Waldron, a state representative. Photo taken by Sabina Hahn.

The celebration included two remarkable occurrences that may well never show themselves again at the school—namely, the wine and champagne bar which briefly stood in a corner of the new Caiman Hall. However, the night was also host to a collection of notable names, including the Chair of the Escondido Creek Watershed Alliance, Olga Diaz, and Marie Waldron, a state representative.

Curry also paid respects to some of the founding families that evening. “As I was looking over the guest list this afternoon [I see] there are several of our families that have been here since 1999.”

The evening marked an important milestone in Mr. Curry’s, as well as CAHS’, career, and he made no attempt to conceal his gratitude to the many families who were present. “I know that this would have never happened without so many of you encouraging us, supporting us, praying for us, giving to us. There’s really one vision of the Classical Academies that takes hundreds of people to make happen and this project we’re standing in right now is going to influence thousands of people.”