How to Use your Summer Effectively

Summer is the perfect time to practice surfing, and many surf team members should take advantage of the opportunity. Photo taken by Orion Lenz.

Summer’s here. With its arrival comes a chance to catch up on lost sleep and spend your days in the pool instead of the classroom. For most students, the last thing they want to think about during these long-awaited months is school.

But the 2016-2017 school year will be here before you know it, and you don’t want to be caught unawares. Follow some of these tips to make sure that your summer won’t go to waste:

1. Complete your interim summer reading assignment.

This one is not optional for CAHS students, but they do have the choice of when to do it. Don’t procrastinate on it, leaving yourself stressed and in a rush to write ten responses each for two books during the last week of summer . Make a plan to read a certain amount per day, or get it all over with within the first week. If you need extra motivation, sign up to read a book with a teacher. Whatever you do, make sure to review any class-specific books the week before school starts so you’ll be ready in case of a test.

2. Learn a new skill.

Have you always wanted to learn how to play guitar, how to paint or to understand the basics of German? Now’s your chance. Without the obligations of school and homework, summer is the perfect opportunity to learn any skill. With thousands of resources on the Internet, you can learn anything you want.

3. Train for any sports you’re playing during the school year.

Training during the off season is a fantastic way to gain a competitive edge in the coming school year. Training over summer will keep your body active, nimble and  ready for a new season, especially if you play a fall sport. If possible, talk with your coach to find a safe and effective training plan to avoid injury.

4. Get a job.

To embrace all the opportunities that summer might throw at you, you might need some extra income. Getting a job is a great way to earn money, which you can either spend as you wish or save for the future. A job  will also give you valuable life experience, as well as extra work experience for future jobs and college applications.

5. Study for standardized tests.

If you plan to take the ACT or SAT in the upcoming school year, take advantage of your free time over the summer to at least get an understanding of how the test functions. There are several test prep books, courses and online resources you can use to help raise your scores. Try the Barron’s guide or the Princeton guide and take a few practice tests.

6. Prepare for college applications.

No matter your grade level, if you are interested in attending college, it’s not too early to start looking. Incoming freshman, sophomores and juniors can get a deeper understanding of what type of college they want to go to. Juniors should solidify what colleges they will apply to and work on their essays and anything else they will need for applications.

7. Volunteer.

Volunteering allows you to contribute to your community and gain a better understanding of what goes on in it. Volunteering also functions as work experience on job applications, and shows your dedication to your community on college applications. It also fulfills the required community service hours, of which you should log 37.5 hours per year of attendance at CAHS in order to graduate.

8. Relax.

It’s been another long year, and the list of things to do will never end. Although you should be careful not to waste your entire summer, it’s okay to spend summertime more focused on rest than on work if you think that’s what you need.

Although it can be tempting to lounge and watch Netflix all summer long, you will never regret spending your time on something productive. If you follow these tips, you will enter the new school year ready to go!