CAHS Students Vote for Members of the 2016-2017 Homecoming Court

Homecoming is a night when everyone feels like royalty, whether they’re on the court or not. During the spirit week before, students participate in games and pep rallies to win points for their class. The festivities vary throughout the week, all leading up to the main event: the Homecoming Dance.

Saryn Mandak
Voting Princess. Senior Malia Menig votes for her class’s king and queen. Last year, Menig was Junior Princess. “[My advice for the court this year would be] just have fun with it, and don’t be scared,” she said.

For incoming ninth-graders, it’s the peak of their freshman year. For seniors, it’s a last farewell to the first high school dance they ever attended. Seemingly ordinary students are crowned homecoming royalty. But before corsages are purchased and tuxedos are fitted, there’s one last thing to tackle: voting for the court.

To sophomore Cassidy Nelson, who was freshman Princess last year, homecoming is something “I look forward to every year,” she says. “It’s the one thing I look forward to in the first semester.”

Nelson is also a member of ASB, and she and other fellow members do various things to help facilitate the voting process. “We have to make the boxes you see outside, make the ballots. We tell the students how [a good prince or princess] should act and represent leadership throughout the school.”

I Voted! English teacher Diane Taylor participates in the voting process. On Thursday, she had the job of handing students their "I voted" stickers. "I think this is a good way to see some kids that maybe would've been marginalized at a different school to have an opportunity to be prince or princess," she said.

Kaleigh Strong
I Voted! English teacher Diane Taylor participates in the voting process. On Thursday, she had the job of handing students their “I voted” stickers. “I think this is a good way to see some kids that maybe would’ve been marginalized at a different school to have an opportunity to be prince or princess,” she said.

Homecoming Court has been an exciting tradition at high schools for years. Last year’s freshman prince Caden Goodman said, “[I think that homecoming has a positive impact on our school because for] some people that were nominated, it was like, ‘Oh, that’s great that he’s nominated. I had no idea he would’ve been nominated.”

For freshman Elliot Weaver, the idea of Homecoming Court is daunting. Weaver said, “I don’t really want to [be on court]. I don’t like being in front of people or in crowds.”

Of course, there are those who have never experienced a Homecoming Dance, like English teacher Mr. Christian Sheffield. “I never went to Homecoming,” he said. “I was a total loner in high school.” However, in retrospect, Mr. Sheffield said, “I should’ve been more outgoing; I should’ve taken more advantage of my experience in high school. I was a bit of a Holden Caulfield.”

Homecoming Court is a unifying aspect of the school as a whole. Friends vote for each other, hoping that one of them will be elected to represent their class. The voting process provides the opportunity for people who may not be as well known as their peers to be elected.

That was what happened to last year’s Junior Princess, Malia Menig. “[My friend] went around asking people to vote for me. … It was kind of an experiment to see if we [could] get this little nobody to get princess,” Menig said. “[After being elected] I was shocked … it’s exciting to represent your class,” she said.

For alumni, homecoming is a time to reminisce on their high school days and a time to come back to their hometown. For students, homecoming is a time of new beginnings and the start of a new year. Voting for those you feel best represent the school is a milestone in the festivities, and now with the votes cast for the CAHS 2016-2017 court cast on Thursday, all that’s left is waiting for the results, which will be announced on Oct. 7.