Alice: Through the Student Body’s Eyes

ASB Does the Thing. Sophomore ASB Geneva Lindsley helps to present the theme. Last week, ASB spent 40 minutes introducing the theme and court. "It was a tie last year [for the theme] between Clue and Through the Looking Glass," Lindsley said.

Saryn Mandak
ASB Does the Thing. Sophomore ASB Geneva Lindsley helps to present the theme. Last week, ASB spent 40 minutes introducing the theme and court. “It was a tie last year [for the theme] between Clue and Through the Looking Glass,” Lindsley said.

“Alice in Wonderland” is one of the oldest and most well-known stories, wherein a girl named Alice falls down a rabbit hole and enters a fantastical world full of dreamlike creatures and a childlike aura.

Much like how Alice felt when she entered her wonderland, the students of CAHS anticipated the revelation of their homecoming theme. Many students, like sophomore Quinn Doval, look forward to, “finding out the theme. It’s shrouded in mystery.” This year on Oct. 7, ASB revealed the theme for this year’s Homecoming Dance and brought back feelings of nostalgia and whimsical wonder. Revealing a large banner, ASB put questioning students’ minds to rest as they announced that this year’s theme would be based off of the beloved childhood story “Alice: Through The Looking Glass.”

For junior Josh Ibañez, Homecoming at CAHS is a new experience. “I wasn’t here freshman year, and I wasn’t able to go last year, so [this] is actually my first year [going to Homecoming],” he said. When questioned about what he looks forward to the most in the events leading up to the dance, he responded, “Spirit week is fun because you get to dress up. Especially Pajama Day.”

Joyful Junior Janet. Junior Princess Janet Batten walks to receive her sash. At the assembly, the Prince of each class bit into a cupcake that held the name of the Princess. "[When my name was announced, I was] Happy and nervous at the same time," Batten said.

Saryn Mandak
Joyful Junior Janet. Junior Princess Janet Batten walks to receive her sash. At the assembly, the Prince of each class bit into a cupcake that held the name of the Princess. “[When my name was announced, I was] Happy and nervous at the same time,” Batten said.

Doval also expressed her opinion on last year’s theme, which was based on the beloved mystery board game,Clue. “How they explained it was very confusing, because I didn’t know if the theme was a mystery, or if the theme was [‘A Mystery’],” Doval said. But, in the grand scheme of things, Doval enjoyed last year’s elusive theme. “I liked it. I really liked the decorations, the interactiveness of it. You could go up to a teacher and [ask them] who did the killing.”

On this year’s theme, she said, “It’s a lot different than what they did last year, and I really like the whimsical factors of it.”

As far as school events go, homecoming is one of the biggest on campus. Math III and Pre-Calc teacher Robert Brack voiced his opinion on what makes Classical’s Homecoming different from other schools. “I think the thing that makes Classical more unique [in regards to Homecoming is that] there’s a higher percentage of students that get into the school spirit than at a typical high school these days. So we have a much higher percentage of kids that are participating and excited about it.”

JK Joins the Court. The Junior class Prince, JK Haman, rushes up to join the rest of the court. Once there, he received his sash and a handshake from Mr. Moen. "I'm looking forward to another amazing homecoming, the theme looks amazing this year," Haman said.

Saryn Mandak
JK Joins the Court. The Junior class Prince, JK Haman, rushes up to join the rest of the court. Once there, he received his sash and a handshake from Mr. Moen. “I’m looking forward to another amazing homecoming, the theme looks amazing this year,” Haman said.

ASB members work day and night throughout the beginning of the year in order to present a flawless theme to the student body. “The hardest part is coming in on Mondays and Saturdays to do work days,” ASB secretary Lauren Schulze says. “We have to put in at least 15 hours [at] the work days alone.”

When it comes to determining the theme, she said, “In June, before school gets out, we have an ASB retreat, and we discuss Homecoming themes. … It was actually unanimous; everybody chose ‘Alice: Through the Looking Glass.’”

For teachers, homecoming is a time to reflect on their high school days. “I definitely think that if I was a graduate of Classical, then I would want to come back for Homecoming,” Spanish teacher Cecilia Haigler says.

And, for current students, it’s a time to celebrate and share the sense of community that comes along with the game and dance, along with ushering in a newfound sense of anticipation for what’s to come.