Baking Club: the New Club on the Block

You may not know, but there is a club on campus dedicated to eating and talking about baked goods. Every Wednesday during lunch, food enthusiasts meet in Mr. Derek Montgomery’s room to exchange recipes and eat treats based on that week’s theme.

Baking Club is relatively new on campus. Junior Emma Davis started it because she aspires to “become a pastry chef and open my own bakery one day. So I just wanted to share it with other people.” Davis started the club last year as a bonus on her future college applications. “Really just getting into college, because my mom said I needed to do something big so I had this idea.” Davis said.

The club’s door is open for anyone to join; all you have to do is bring in a dish once a month. Each week, members of baking club vote on the next week’s food topic. Examples include bread week, chocolate chip week and pie week (which was in honor of Pi Day). “Each week we have a different theme. Really, [the theme is] just going on whatever we want people to make [for] us,” Davis said.

This easygoing club also welcomes anyone, regardless of diet. “It’s fun; I get to find new recipes and then in the future, the president [Emma Davis] said she might do vegan week. So I would like to see how other people [practice veganism] in their dishes,” freshman Tabitha Snavely said.

Other club members joined because they wanted to learn more about baking. “That’s why I actually decided to join baking club. I want to learn how to bake stuff other than normal cookies,” freshman Victoria Baez said.