Apples smashed and homecoming court “sashed”

Seniors Chase McCarthy, Jessica Jolley, and Kolbe Schanzenbach and junior Danny Miller take part in a skit written by Noah Castillero. McCarthy said, “I felt very goofy. I was hoping that people were finding it funny.”

Escondido – Hordes of boisterous CAHS students poured into the Boys & Girls Club gymnasium on September 25, 2014. At the homecoming assembly, ASB announced spirit week dress-up days, the royal court, and the theme of the dance, “A Midnight in Manhattan.”

ASB playfully revealed the theme through a skit that parodied popular game show, “The Price is Right,” as well as “Saturday Night Live’s” sketch, “The Lawrence Welk Show.”

“Noah Castillero wrote the bulk of the [skit] and came to us, asking if we wanted to do it,” Chase McCarthy, senior, said. “It ended up being really fun.”

Sophomore and ASB member, Ryleigh Smith, explained that ASB decided the theme this summer. “We had a couple different themes to chose from and we voted on it. We figured we wouldn’t have as much time to decorate this year because [Homecoming] is so much sooner than usual, so we wanted to pick a theme where it wouldn’t be too hard to decorate,” Smith said.

Once the “Big Apple” secret got out of the grocery bag, the news evoked a range of emotions from the student body. Malia Menig, a sophomore, said, “It’s alright. It wasn’t my favorite choice. I wanted something [with an] 80’s theme maybe.”

For the most part, the theme received positive responses. “[The theme] is awesome and classy. I love New York,” freshman Gwendolyn Warner said.

With the theme this year revolving around “the city that never sleeps” the ASB team got creative when it came to spirit week.

The week kicks off with “Uptown or Downtown” on Tuesday, followed by “The City That Always Sleeps,” otherwise known as pajama day, on Wednesday. “Icon Day” takes place on Thursday and students are encouraged to dress up as iconic people, things, or places, from New York City. Lastly, Caiman Pride Day ends spirit week.

Homecoming court is listed below.

• Freshman prince & princess – Mia Mathis and Joseph Hubbard
  • Sophomore prince & princess – Sidney Johnson and Jacob Mizel
  • Junior prince & princess – Sarah DeMarco and Danny Miller
  • Senior court – Mark Fuson, Eric Fuson, Chandler Prazak, Noah Castillero, Joshua Sazon, Sarah Cho, Sabrina Enns, Sophia Novello, Avalon Johnson, and Maile Polancic