Students talk about what genre of music helps them study

Sitting at the table, pen in hand, textbook open, earbuds plugged in, he pours over a science book, trying to memorize all the information necessary for the test next period. His eyes are glued to the table of elements; his mouth humming a catchy tune to remember how many protons are in nitrogen.

For many students, music is a necessity to studying. The genre of music varies by the student.

Some students, including junior Brittney Stevens, find classical pieces helpful: “I listen to classical music because it is calming and peaceful.”

Traditionally, classical music is considered a go-to for study music. A simple search on Youtube provides more than 12 hours of classical music within the first ten hits.

However, some students dislike classical music. “It honestly gives me a headache,” said Cheyenne Culp, a junior. “I cannot stand classical music.”

Sophomore Grant Mitchell said, “I enjoy techno or pop music because I can put songs to certain facts, and later on on tests, there is always a song in my head, and it can help me with facts. With history, it helps because you have to memorize all the dates and people.”

Some studies have shown that music can strengthen students’ study habits. According to Dr. William Klemm, a psychologist at Psychology Today, music can greatly strengthen students’ grades and attitudes because it helps release endorphins which stimulate positive emotions.

Music can be a great aid in studying and improving grades. For many, music is life.