An Introduction to Our School Counselors

Not many people realize all of the work that CAHS academic counselors do to ensure the success of the students here. From sending transcripts out to colleges to putting together our AP tests, Karen Withem and Natalie Mauhili help close the gap between students and their future colleges.

Long before the first student steps onto campus, these two handle any and every course change. They constantly check to make sure every student will be able to graduate with enough credits, and hopefully enough to make it to college, especially seniors. “No senior can drop a class without it coming through our eyes,” Mauhili said.

But that’s only one part of their job. As the school year starts, not only are they handling course changes, they are also “responsible for bringing all the college reps to see [students] at lunchtime. We schedule that; we reach out to them and have them come around to the high school,” Withem said. This year, they even managed to convince Yale University to visit campus.

Throughout the rest of the year, Withem and Mauhili help students complete their college applications and answer any questions on the application process. “We have them do as much as they can,” Mauhili said, “and then we help them with the specific questions on their college apps.”

“A lot of people don’t really know how much work counselors put into putting those college applications together,” Withem added. “The Common Application is a pretty extensive application, and so, behind the scenes, we’re working on students who …  apply to … 15 different universities.”

The counselors are also responsible for the PSAT, AP testing and other standardized tests. According to Withem, the counselors “sign students up, order all those exams, run them [and] send them all back; so that’s another huge piece to what counseling does.” 

In almost every aspect of academics that can affect a student’s future in college, universities or technical schooling, Withem and Mauhili are there to give every student the tools necessary to succeed.

EDITOR’S NOTE: On Feb. 13, one quote was shortened, and a filler word was taken out.