Editing, Films, Discussions: Coming into focus on Audio Visual Club

Photo credit Lauren Rowe.

For students at CAHS, clubs are a big part of campus culture. While there are bigger clubs such as FCA and PAVE, there are also a majority of smaller clubs that showcase more specialized interests and passions. One of these clubs is Audio Visual Club.

Founded by sophomore Ryan Krippner, Audio Visual Club allows students to come together, talk about the film industry, and even make some short films. “I started [the club] because I had a group of friends and we were all invested in technology. We wanted to make a place for other people to meet other people invested in it,” Krippner said.

Junior Danielle Dyson, who wants to pursue a career in the film industry, says that the club has helped her with learning about “the film industry in general — not just editing — but about script writing and the actual cinematography.”

Though Dyson wants to have a career in film, Audio Visual Club also suits the needs of those who just want to pursue videography as a hobby. For senior Jadon Price, “…I don’t see it as something I would do as a career, I would see it as something to do for fun and to make money off of what you enjoy.”

Pursuing members’ passions is a big part of the club. According to junior Elliot Pak, “We do what we love. We love doing videos and photos. We have a lot of fun doing it too. It’s not a task for us; it’s just something that we enjoy.”

Being in the club also helps bring together students and create a supportive community.“We just have a lot of fun talking … and brainstorming projects and ideas for films, and talking about films that have come out recently,” Dyson said.

Members of Audio Visual Club meet every Thursday in the photography room or in Coach Goodman’s room. Audio Visual Club members strongly advise students who have interests in filmmaking to join. “If they enjoy photography and videography, then they should definitely join because you get to be around people that enjoy doing it too, so you will probably make connections,” said Price.

“I would say that if you want to get started or if you are already doing [videography], then joining a club can bring you the aspect of competition, and it really drives you to be better,” Pak said.