Filed under Showcase, Sports

Teamwork Makes the Dream Work: Boys Varsity Soccer on Team Bonding and Future Seasons

Junior JK Haman takes the corner kick during the Boys Varsity Soccer game against Del Lago.

Lauryn Butler

Lauryn Butler

The Boys Varsity Soccer team formed strong bonds throughout the season—bonds which have been developing since last year.

“Last year we had completely new players, because the year before it was mainly seniors,” JK Haman said, “so last year was a rebuilding year, getting into the groove [of things.” However, new teammates meant new friendships, pushing the team to new heights. “It was the year where we finally had chemistry. We decided to set our bars high, play some top teams and compete with them.”

The boys on varsity are still eager to improve. Sophomore Diego Preciado says he is looking forward to “getting better and … growing with [his] sophomore class.” 

As the soccer season comes to an end, new beginnings are just around the corner. Junior JK Haman has thought about what the future season has in store. “Next year my brother’s going to be a freshman, so I get to play a year of soccer with him.”

Haman has also thought about what he will miss the most about Classical’s soccer team once he graduates. “I’m going to miss the coaches and staff we have, because they’re all so amazing. I’ve never had a really good coach before, and the coaches we have are awesome.”

Lauryn Butler
Sophomore Diego Preciado dribbles up the field.

For Preciado and Haman, a major factor that makes the atmosphere on the soccer team so enjoyable is that the other players support one another. “It’s a great feel at Classical because it’s not an individual thing you’re there with all your teammates,” said Preciado.

“The thing about Classical is everyone loves each other. There’s nobody bad[mouthing] anyone, we’re all like one family. That’s  what I cherish the most,” said Haman.