Homecoming Spirit: A Week in Review

It’s the week after homecoming, which means that last week our school days were filled with various forms of spirit. On Tuesday, students walked around dressed in mismatched clothing. Wednesday brought even more fatigue to school than usual with Pajama Day. Thursday brought back the memories and Friday radiated with school colors and Caiman spirit. There was a lot to see and a lot to take in, so we’ll sum up the week for you right here:

MISMATCH DAY

The halls bursted with vibrant colors and crazy patterns that illuminated the gloomy day. Students dressed up in their craziest outfits consisting of mismatched socks, funky hats and patterns containing every color of the rainbow.

Spirit days aren’t just fun for students—many teachers and faculty members participated as well. Mr. Dana Moen was dressed in a look that some students believed gave off a Fred Jones feel.

Students like junior Trevor McAdams believe that “[dressing up is] something fun to do, and it helps our school.”

Junior Trevor McAdams walks during lunch wearing board shorts and a shirt and tie, completing the look with a silly hat.
Mr. Dana Moen is dressed in bright yellow pants, a black and blue striped shirt, a comic tie and a green scarf wrapped around his neck. He certainly mastered the art of mismatch.
Mr. Dana Moen is dressed in bright yellow pants, a black and blue striped shirt, a comic tie and a green scarf wrapped around his neck.
Sophomore Faye Richards wears two different shoes and socks, paired with a pair of printed black tights.

PAJAMA DAY

Wednesday consisted of a variety of onesies, flannel pants and slippers. This could only mean one thing: Pajama Day. Students were encouraged to essentially roll out of bed and come to school (but not before brushing their teeth and putting deodorant on, according to Mrs. Benattia).

A number of students participated in the dress up, making it one of the most popular spirit days of the week. Students of all grades engaged in the lunchtime scavenger hunt, led by senior Sam Schuhler. After numerous rounds of the game, the freshmen were deemed the winners, with the juniors coming in last. Based on the large number of participants, Pajama Day was a true success and made for some great fun on a chilly Wednesday.

Sam Schuhler, leading the lunch time scavenger hunt game, crowns fellow senior Julia Senkbeil the winner of that round on Pajama Day.
Cambria Osborn shows her school spirit by wearing a dinosaur onesie for Pajama Day.

THROWBACK THURSDAY

Throwback Thursday involved students dressing in their best throwback clothing that resembled outfits from their childhood. For students like senior Faith Pigeon, it wasn’t very easy to emulate the outfits they wore as children. “My hair never grew and I had diagonal bangs, and I couldn’t really replicate that today, so I just [dressed as] a child.”

Even the faculty took part in the fun as many of them duplicated a picture of their past selves that they wore on a necklace. For the lunchtime game, strings were hung with a doughnut tied to the end. The contestants fought over who could eat their doughnut the fastest.

“It’s my last homecoming spirit week. I need to dress up to my fullest ability,” Pigeon said.

Senior Faith Pigeon eagerly approaches her friends while dressed up for Throwback Thursday. Pigeon’s outfit consisted of a gray dress, a pink coat and some colorful socks.
Juniors Natalie Nieman and Brittany Lang laugh about something on the phone during lunch on Thursday.
Juniors Natalie Nieman, clad in retro wear, enjoys lunch with junior Brittany Lang.

CAIMAN SPIRIT DAY

From the first bell to the very last, Classical Academy rang with school spirit. Between everyone wearing school colors and the homecoming pep rally, both students and faculty alike showed excitement for the events to come. During the pep rally, teachers performed a dance to the song “Thriller” by Michael Jackson that made many students roar with spirit.

The pep band made their first appearance with flag, CAHS & Effect Dance Team, cheer team and dance troupe performing as well. “There’s a lot of school spirit, that’s always good,” freshman Cladee Schmaltz said. “I think that some people are not dressed up and don’t have spirit and we need to change that next year.”

Freshman Cladee Schmaltz demonstrates her school spirit by wearing a black and white polkadot dress with a red tutu underneath.
Sophomores Lauren Seyb and Lydia Brittain pose for the camera to show off their school spirit.
Seniors Abigail Pillsbury, Lauren Pressley and Michelle Carter represent their class with their black and red clothing.

Ultimately, Homecoming spirit week brought a great deal of fun to our campus. It allowed students and faculty to take a break from their normal routines and add a little silliness into the mix, as well as giving them a chance to express their school spirit. Tell us your favorite day in the comments!