Filed under Showcase, Sports

Shooting For The Stars: Varsity Girls Basketball on their Potential this Season

In the Zone. Junior Mikayla Torres signals to fellow teammate indicating that she’s open and ready for the throw in. Torres has been playing basketball ever since middle school and says that she “really…enjoy[s] [the sport].” Photo taken by Lauryn Butler.

On Dec. 2, the Varsity Girls Basketball team suffered a tough loss against Clairemont.

Although the Caimans didn’t win that game, the girls on the team maintain a positive outlook for this basketball season.

Junior Mikayla Torres is in her fifth season of basketball and has played on Classical’s team since her freshman year. Torres is optimistic about this season due to the team’s abilities, explaining that the team “won one of [their] first games that [they] played in a tournament last weekend.” Making that victory even sweeter, Classical’s team had “lost to that same team by 40 points the year before.”

She further elaborates on what she believes the team can do: “Last year we got third [place] in league … so I think we’re definitely going to go a lot further.” No matter the outcome of a game, “the team come[s] together … even in losses … because we all know where we messed up and where we can grow from that and help each other out.” Torres says she hopes the team will “[win] league and [go] to CIF.”

Keeping Score. Nia Olguin, freshman, checks the scoreboard during the team’s recent game against Clairemont. Olguin says that one of her favorite team bonding memories was when the team went to Target and hung out. “It was a one time thing but we might do it this weekend because we have another tournament.” She says. Photo taken by Lauryn Butler.

Fellow teammate and freshman Nia Olguin shares the same positive view about the season. “We’re division 5…[and] we just had a scrimmage against a division 2 team and … won that. I think we’re actually doing really good this year.” Olguin says that some of her favorite aspects of being on Classical’s team are “playing more and getting to know [her] older [teammates].”

Whether the girls’ diverging interests are in winning more games or bonding with teammates the Varsity Girls Basketball team has high hopes for the future.

The Varsity Girls Basketball team has an upcoming game at Pacific Ridge on Dec. 15 and continue their season after winter break, playing on Jan. 6 at Orange Glen.

EDITOR’S NOTE 12/16/16, 2:15 p.m.: After this article was published, the Journalism staff learned that Olguin is no longer on the team. Despite this, we thank her for her contributions to this article.

1 Comment

One Response to “Shooting For The Stars: Varsity Girls Basketball on their Potential this Season”

1. Anonymous on December 31st, 2016 6:02 pm

This article and others are pretty cool. You guys should do some advertising in Caiman T.V. and stuff. 🙂 Good job.

[Reply]

Before posting your comment, please make sure it adheres to our Discussion Policy:
1. Be respectful to the author.
2. Be respectful to persons mentioned in the article, and to other commenters.
3. Profane or threatening comments will be destroyed.

The full policy is outlined in our Editorial Policy.

• Shooting For The Stars: Varsity Girls Basketball on their Potential this Season

Reviews

Book Recommendations from the Jerds 2017

Opinion

On the History of “4D” Movies And Their Future Potential

Features

Dealing with Different: Sophomore Emily Cowell Shares her Experiences with Mental Disorders

Reviews

Everything You Need to Know About ‘Everything, Everything’

Lit Mag

The Firedrake Problem

News

Boys Varsity Volleyball team qualifies for and wins the CIF semifinal game

Reviews

Out of This World: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Reviews

Breaking Bread: Panera Bread is great for any meal

Lit Mag

The Breath of a Corpse

Reviews

Seeing Purple: Fall Out Boy Teases Seventh Studio Album

Classical Academy High School's Online News Site