Elemental: Classical Academy’s 2017 Art Show

One of the art pieces from Mr. Smith’s digital art classes. Photo taken by MJ Macias.

Performances and art pieces from students all across CAHS and TCA came together on April 23 to provide entertainment and cultural knowledge in the annual Art Show.

The show’s theme this year was “Elemental”: earth, fire, water and air. To properly represent the theme, Study Hall’s pillars were decorated by carefully-placed tissue paper designed to resemble the different elements. The goal was to create an authentic and unique interpretation of the theme for each person approaching the display.

Art teacher Mr. McGaugh directed his students to create collages based on their personalities, charisma and individual emotions. “The self-portrait collage [was my favorite],” senior Hannah Freeze said. “It was red and orange. We had to pick an element that described us, and I picked fire.”

Students in Mr. McGaugh’s art class were expected to present four pieces into the Art Show as individual representations of themselves. Their artwork used a variety of uncommon techniques and methods in the composition of everything from photographs, to realistic paintings, to graphite drawing, to collages.

Students put a great deal of effort into each of their endeavors. “That was probably 15 or 16 hours,” junior Eric Bennett said, regarding his most valued composition: “a graphite drawing of a girl … raising a colorful plant out of the ground.”

Each drawing is exclusive and different in order to express each artist’s abilities, potential and skill. “It’s unique, and people can express it in their own way,” junior Meghan Freeze said.

Overall, the Art Show was a chance for art students to enjoy the school’s art united under a common theme. “I just like seeing everybody’s [artwork], when all the pieces come together and seeing the difference,” Hannah Freeze said.