Classical Academies Address Grading Policy Due To COVID-19

Photo by Surface on Unsplash

This morning, The Classical Academies sent out an email clarifying the grading policies for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year “in an effort to minimize the anxiety and stress felt by some students and parents” due to COVID-19. 

“For grades 7-12:

We are allowing students a choice regarding how their final grade in each class will be recorded on their final report card (grades 7 & 8) and transcript (grades 9-12) for the 4th Quarter/Spring Term. At the end of the semester, the teacher will submit a final letter grade for the class based on the student’s work for the whole term, both pre and post- closure. After grades are finalized, the student can choose to keep the standard grade given or move to a pass/fail (P/F) grade.

Students will have one week after grades have been finalized to request a change to P/F, otherwise, the letter grade will be the permanent grade on the transcript.

• Standard grades A through D = Pass, grade F = Fail
  • “P” will count for academic credit and will not affect GPA positively or negatively.

Once grades are finalized, an email will be sent to notify students and parents that grades are completed. Included in the email will be a Google Form for those who want to change the letter grade to a pass/fail grade. The link will be available for one week only.

Students who are planning to attend a four-year university, including NCAA schools for athletics, are encouraged to reach out to the university admissions office to determine the impact of a “P” on their high school transcript for admissions and/or athletic eligibility.

If you have additional questions, please reach out to your principal.”