Devoted to Dance: the 2016 Winter Concert

Freshman Alysia Greer participates in one of the many routines featured during the concert. Photo by Amber Bacardi

Despite rising nerves, various CAHS performance teams worked hard to prepare for their upcoming Winter Concert.

The Winter Concert, which took place on Dec. 16, is a highly anticipated event that involves a fun-filled evening of dancing the night away. Even though the night’s performances may seem effortless, they are not always a piece of cake like the flawless choreography suggests. During a dedicated week of rehearsals, each of the performers give 110 per cent to make this year’s concert the best one yet.

Freshman Caitlyn Feddock twirls lithely through her solo routine. Photo by Amber Bacardi

The competition team is back and better than ever for the Winter Concert. In preparation for the show, the team has been practicing nonstop to perfect their dances. “Most of the dances we have already learned, but we are just cleaning them. We are practicing on the stage and running through our quick changes,” varsity dancer and freshman Caitlyn Feddock said.

In addition to physical preparation, the competition team values team bonding exercises in order to enhance their performance, “We are also doing team building stuff to make sure we are all in unity,” senior Nicole Yphantides said.

Performance dance members are eager for the opportunity to show off their abilities and fine-tune their work. Freshman Andie Radsliff said, “[We have been] working really hard and are making sure that everyone will have a great time and that we also are having a great time. We are really excited.”

Despite their hard work, some of the freshmen and newcomers to the team are a bit more apprehensive for the performance. “I am pretty nervous. It’s my first winter concert in high school but … I am really excited to be on the team …  [I]t is like a family,” Radsliff said.

In addition to the different dance teams, this year the cheer team will also be performing and have been working just as diligently on their performance pieces. “[We have been] just working hard on the competition routine … all week we have had practice,” said freshman cheerleader Bella Longwell.

Gazing out into the audience, junior Ysa Penarejo performs a solo routine. Photo by Amber Bacardi

The already enthusiastic cheerleaders are even more pumped for the additional chance to perform, “I am actually really excited, because we are performing some from our competition team,” Longwell said. “I am a little nervous, though, since it’s a bigger crowd.”

Despite the nervous turmoil for the show, many of the performers are looking forward to the Winter Concert. Even though she has been dancing for 11 years, Feddock still has anxious feelings for her first winter concert at CAHS. “I am a little bit of everything. I am excited but, you know, a little bit nervous since it’s my first time,” Feddock said.

Above all, Yphantides hopes the team’s dedication shines through their performances. “I am excited to see the audience, hopeful liking it and enjoying it. I want them to know all the hard work we put into it.”