Crimson

Crimson

Win Together, Lose Together: CAHS Girls’ Tennis Battles San Diego Jewish Academy

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore Taylor Smith attempts a serve at the match against San Diego Jewish Academy. Photo credit Danica Jordan.

Danica Jordan, Reporter

At the girl’s varsity tennis match last Thursday, the lady caimans faced off against San Diego Jewish Academy, but ultimately lost the match 14-4. With a 2-6-1 record, the season is going a little rough, but the team finds their ways to stick together through the wins and the losses.

“After each game, we support each other,” sophomore Kenna Chase said. “The coach will let us in the tea party, and then we will talk about what we did wrong, and what  we could communicate more about, and what we could improve on.”

The losses are made a lot easier with help from the coaches, Coach Mercedes and Coach T.

“Coach M and Coach T, no matter if we win or lose, they love us, which makes us love everyone around us, and so there really isn’t losing. Because we know that we improved that day,” sophomore Taylor Smith said.

Chase was quite happy with how the match went, based on the skill level of the team they played.

“I think it went really well for the team we were playing against. Like Coach was saying earlier, it’s a really good team,” Chase said.

Photo credit Danica Jordan.

Sophomore Jerri Lopez was also appreciative of the sportsmanship of the Jewish Academy team. “They were really nice, and a really respectable team. So  losing didn’t really feel like losing,” Lopez said.

Lopez has high hopes for the future. “I know we’ll be a lot more improved, definitely because right now we’re still developing… By our senior year, we’ll probably be really good,” Lopez said.

They also all have different ways they each want to improve. Freshman Lauren Chiang hopes to improve her mental game. “I always think pessimistically, so I want to be able to think like, I can do this. I can win this,” Chiang said.

According to Smith, the team is very close with each other, and they’re all great friends. “We all love each other, and whenever we see them, [we] just know it’s going to be a good day,” Smith said

With both singles and doubles games, tennis is both an individual and a team sport.

“It’s a team sport, because in the singles, we still need to cheer [them] on,” Chiang said.

Tennis has its struggles, though. It’s assumed to be easy-going, but it’s actually very demanding. Freshman Grace Alexander finds this to be true for her. “People portray tennis as this really lighthearted sport, but it’s really aggressive,” Alexander said, “and people don’t really see that.”

Photo credit Danica Jordan.

But through those struggles, tennis can be redeeming for the players. “When you hit the ball over the net, and it goes in, and they don’t hit it back, it’s just the best feeling ever,” Smith said.

“When you work hard, and you work hard at practice, and you’re working hard during those games, and you hit that perfect shot, it’s fun.” Chase said. Despite the loss, things are looking up for them.

1 Comment

One Response to “Win Together, Lose Together: CAHS Girls’ Tennis Battles San Diego Jewish Academy”

1. Julia Hesse on September 28th, 2018 2:01 pm

I love you guys and I hope to stick with all of you for the rest of our time on earth. (Sophomore Julia Hesse D team of CAHS)

Before posting your comment, please make sure it adheres to our Discussion Policy:
1. Be respectful to the author.
2. Be respectful to persons mentioned in the article, and to other commenters.
3. Inappropriate comments will be destroyed.

The full policy is outlined in our Editorial Policy.

• Win Together, Lose Together: CAHS Girls’ Tennis Battles San Diego Jewish Academy

recaps

Homecoming game ends in a flash

recaps

Sports Recap: CAHS Cross Country runs in the Maranatha Invite

recaps

Sports Recap: Varsity Football Plays the San Diego Cavers in the Homecoming Game

recaps

Sports Recap: Varsity Football Plays La Jolla Country Day in the First Game of the 2017-2018 Season

Features

Emergency Preparedness Club: Not just for the apocalypse

Features

The Rise of Spikeball Club

Opinion

Black Friday: A Corporate Illusion

Features

Young Entrepreneurs Club? I’d Invest In That

Opinion

Is “Bohemian Rhapsody” Worthy of Royalty?

Opinion

Never too long for hot lunch

Classical Academy High School's Online News Site